White Paper Details
|Tables, Charts, Figures:||11|
|Release Date:||3Q 2015|
The global market for biometrics is developing rapidly, as a variety of conditions converge to create increasing demand for biometric technologies among consumers, enterprises, and governments alike. After a long wait, use cases that were once a gleam in the eye are reality. Biometric voter registration removes barriers of poverty and illiteracy, and it can run on a tablet. Consumers can authenticate financial transactions with a fingerprint, voice, eyes, or even an electrocardiogram, all with far lower risk than passwords that can be stolen and used on the other side of the world.
Tractica’s analysis indicates that use cases, above all else, define biometrics. Technology enables, but does not define this market. There is little evidence of point solution selling or customers being seduced by impressive technology. Even vendors with unique technology talk first about solving problems. Biometrics is democratic; everyone has eyes, voices, fingers, or at least a pulse. This technology serves all economies.
This white paper examines 10 key trends that will be key factors in the ongoing evolution of the biometrics market, including the following:
- Market drivers are converging on biometrics
- Use cases sell; technology does not
- Non-consumer use cases dominate revenue, but at a cost
- Software-only solutions will be strong
- Finance will continue to be a strong vertical market
- Healthcare biometrics is the next big thing
- Vertical industry specialists can succeed
- Developing economies represent a good market opportunity
- Voice and speech recognition will be strong modalities
- New vendors entering the market will have tough times
This Tractica white paper highlights 10 key market trends for biometrics hardware and software that Tractica has identified as part of its ongoing analysis of the biometrics market. Biometrics is well-established in some industries, while nascent in others, and the white paper describes specific trends that will be key to understanding how biometrics vendors succeed or fail in this diverse set of markets. These trends are based on the ongoing research and analysis that is part of Tractica’s Biometrics Advisory Service. The white paper is published in partnership with Biometric Update.
Key Questions Addressed:
- Which biometric modalities will be adopted for various use cases and industry applications?
- How are biometrics end users making their purchase decisions, and what types of business models are emerging to serve the market?
- What are some of the most promising industry sectors for adoption of biometrics?
- What types of biometrics solutions will be in greatest demand as the market continues to grow?
- What are the competitive dynamics that exist in today’s market for biometrics vendors, and how will they change in the years ahead?
- How will the development of the biometrics market vary in different regions of the world?
Who Needs This Report?
- Biometrics device manufacturers
- Semiconductor and component vendors
- Biometrics technology companies
- Software developers and integrators
- Mobile network operators
- Enterprise users of biometrics
- Government agencies
- Investor community
Table of Contents
- 10 Key Biometrics Trends to Watch
- Market Drivers Are Converging on Biometrics
- Use Cases Sell; Technology Does Not
- Non-Consumer Use Cases Dominate Revenue, but at a Cost
- Software-Only Solutions Will Be Strong
- Finance Will Continue to Be a Strong Vertical Market
- Healthcare Biometrics Is the Next Big Thing
- Vertical Industry Specialists Can Succeed
- Developing Economies Represent a Good Market Opportunity
- Voice and Speech Recognition Will Be a Strong Modality
- New Vendors Entering the Market Will Have Tough Times
- Company Directory
- Acronym and Abbreviation List
- Table of Contents
- Table of Charts and Figures
- Additional Reading
- Scope of Study, Sources and Methodology, Notes
- Biometric Update
List of Charts and Figures
- Biometrics Revenue by Key Use Cases, World Markets: 2015-2024
- Biometrics Revenue, Consumer Facing and Non-Consumer Facing Applications, World Markets: 2015-2024
- Biometrics Revenue by Hardware/Software, World Markets: 2015-2024
- Finance Biometrics Revenue by Region, World Markets: 2015-2024
- Healthcare Biometrics Revenue by Use Case, World Markets: 2015-2024
- Biometrics Revenue by Industry, World Markets: 2015-2024
- Annual Voice and Speech Biometrics Revenue by Region, World Markets: 2015-2024
- Unstaffed Bank Branch in Poland
- Iris Imaging Used for Patient Identification
- Mobile Iris Image Scan in Helmand Province, Afghanistan
- Voter Registration with Fingerprints in Ghana